ESRL supports NOAA's "whole-Earth" operational and information services mission through the integration of Earth System research. Our researchers generate experimental weather and climate products and provide a broad range of environmental information services in order to advance the application of research to meet operational needs.
We support the deployment and operation of environmental observatories and observational networks to provide high-resolution datasets of regional weather, water and climate processes for analysis and to advance the development of new sensor techniques. These data provide a critical, long-term history of the Earth system necessary for the assessment of global trends. ESRL also conducts and participates in field programs allowing researchers to intensively study aspects of the Earth system to improve weather and air quality forecasting, and better understand climate processes and trends.
Laboratory Publication Pages
Reports | Assessments
In the Field
- AQPI—Advanced Quantitative Precipitation Information
- ATom—Atmospheric Tomography Mission
- ATOMIC—Atlantic Tradewind Ocean–Atmosphere Mesoscale Interaction Campaign
- ENRR—El Niño Rapid Response
- FIREX-AQ—Fire Influence on Regional to Global Environments & Air Quality
- MOSAiC—Multidisciplinary Drifting Observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate