NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2: Spectral Data
- NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 is an improved version of the NCEP Reanalysis I model that fixed errors and updated paramterizations of of physical processes
- 4-times and monthly values for 1979/01/01 to 2020/01/31 .
- T62 Global Spectral Coefficients
- 28 Sigma levels: 0.995, 0.9821, 0.9644, 0.9425, 0.9159, 0.8838, 0.8458, 0.8014, 0.7508, 0.6943, 0.6329, 0.5681, 0.5017, 0.4357, 0.372, 0.3125, 0.2582, 0.2101, 0.1682, 0.1326, 0.1028, 0.0782, 0.058, 0.0418, 0.0288, 0.0183, 0.0101, 0.0027
- Updated adding the previous year's data occur during the first quarter of the next.
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Divergence||4-times Daily Values||Sigma Levels||ftp to ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/spectral/div.spec.yyyy.nc||N/A|
|Relative Vorticity||4-times Daily Values||Sigma Levels||ftp to ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/spectral/vort.spec.yyyy.nc||N/A|
|Specific Humidity||4-times Daily Values||Sigma Levels||ftp to ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/spectral/shum.spec.yyyy.nc||N/A|
|Virtual Temperature||4-times Daily Values||Sigma Levels||ftp to ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/spectral/vair.spec.yyyy.nc||N/A|
|Natural Log of Surface Pressure||4-times Daily Values||Surface||ftp to ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/spectral/pres.nlog.sfc.spec.yyyy.nc||N/A|
|Orography||4-times Daily Values||Surface||orog.spec.nc||N/A|
The NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 project is using a state-of-the-art analysis/forecast
system to perform data assimilation using past data from 1979 through the
A large subset of this data is available from PSD in its original 4 times
daily format and as daily averages.
Please note: If you acquire NCEP Reanalysis 2 data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NCEP Reanalysis 2 data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the NCEP Reanalysis 2 data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- orig.sfc is time invariant.
- var.yyyy.nc (In directory: /Datasets/ncep.reabnalysis2/spectral/)
Dataset Format and Size:
- All data are stored in NetCDF files
- Data is packed in those files.
- Yearly files are about 330M each. There are 137 total.
- By anonymous FTP:
- 4x daily data are available from ftp.cdc.noaa.gov in /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/spectral/.
- The 4x data files are quite large, so you may only be able to download them if you have a fast network connection.
- Please note: If you acquire NCEP/DOE 2 Reanalysis data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NCEP/DOE 2 Reanalysis data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the NCEP/DOE 2 Reanalysis data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- NCEP-DOE AMIP-II Reanalysis (R-2): M. Kanamitsu, W. Ebisuzaki, J. Woollen, S-K Yang, J.J. Hnilo, M. Fiorino, and G. L. Potter. 1631-1643, Nov 2002, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Predictions
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
- Climate Datasets: By Category
- Climate Indices
- Search Datasets
- 20th Century Reanalysis