PSD Collaborative Data Projects
Software and Data Libraries
- OPeNDAP provides software which makes local data accessible to remote locations regardless of local storage format. OPeNDAP also provides tools for transforming existing applications into OPeNDAP clients
- NOMADS (NOAA National Operational Model Archive & Distribution System
- A Web-services based pilot project providing both real-time and retrospective format independent access to climate and weather model data.
- The mission of THREDDS is for students, educators and researchers to publish, contribute, find, and interact with data relating to the Earth system in a convenient, effective, and integrated fashion.
- LAS: Live Access Server.
- Software to plot data on the web. From PMEL and involving multiple institutions.
- NetCDF standards for climate data files
Historic Dataset Projects
- ICOADS (International Comprehensive Ocean-Atmosphere Data Set)
- Ocean observations from the 1700s onwards are processed and made available for scientists in various forms.
- 20th Century Reanalysis
- Using a state-of-the-art data assimilation system and surface pressure observations, the Twentieth Century Reanalysis Project is generating a six-hourly, four-dimensional global atmospheric dataset spanning 1871 to present to place current atmospheric circulation patterns into a historical perspective.
- GCOS Historic Surface Pressure
- Various historic pressure and SST datasets are archived and provided to users for analysis/comparison.
Observational Observing Projects Datasets
- Complete list of past and present field projects
- Prominent Projects
- Boulder Atmospheric Observatory
- The BAO is a unique research facility for studying the planetary boundary layer and for testing and calibrating atmospheric sensors. It has been the host of several large national and international experiments and numerous smaller ones.
- The NOAA Hydrometeorological Testbed (HMT) Program
- The HMT is a concept aimed at accelerating the infusion of new technologies, models, and scientific results from the research community into daily forecasting operations of the National Weather Service (NWS) and its River Forecast Centers (RFCs). It is applied regionally with California coastal region being the first test.
- Study of Environmental Arctic Change (SEARCH) Arctic Atmospheric Observatories
- Texas Air Quality Climate Study
Forecast Dataset Projects
- MJO Forecast Archive:
- Various weather forecasts of the MJO were archived and analyzed both to diagnose ocean/atmosphere dynamics and to provide forecasts.
Climate Model Diagnostic Projects
- Seasonal Diagnostics Consortium
- It is an OGP/NOAA sponsored activity to understand seasonal predictability and to seek attribution for the observed seasonal climate anomalies on a near-real time .
- NIDIS (National Integrated Drought Information System)
- There are plans to have some of the Drought data archived at PSD.
- MEI Reanalysis
- The MEI will be reanalyzed to produce values before 1950.
- IPCC Assessment
- PSD plans to archive some of the data for the IPCC assessment.