Making Forecasts Better
GSD develops storm-scale-to-global scale weather, air quality, coupled, and seasonal data assimilation and prediction models to be used in forecast operations. These modeling systems deliver forecasts and predictions of weather, including severe weather events, within the next few minutes to weeks away.
- Develop research modeling and assimilation suitable for operations
- Transfer research to operations primarily within NOAA
- Collaborate and innovate within community modeling and assimilation efforts including NCEP, NCAR, other ESRL divisions and OAR laboratories, universities, international communities
- Address both global and regional modeling efforts with the same scientific expertise/techniques/code where possible
- Work with other ESRL divisions and GSD branches to broaden atmospheric modeling into Earth system including chemistry, ocean, and biosphere