GSL develops state-of-the-art environmental forecast, decision support, visualization, and evaluation capabilities to provide scientifically robust forecast assessment tools, concepts, and analyses to support the weather decision-making process.
Our customers include military and civilian forecasters, air traffic controllers, air traffic managers, airline dispatchers, and general aviation pilots. EDS collaborates with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the National Weather Service (NWS), and the Departments of Defense and Transportation.
EDSD works to:
- Support the NWS's AWIPS, and explore new data management and processing capabilities to enhance situational awareness and allow forecasters to work more efficiently
- Develop verification techniques and tools that generate and display statistical information in near real time
- Integrate NWS hazard tools while fostering collaboration among stakeholders
- Develop Web tools for model output visualization to support improved hurricane forecasts
- Test, manage, and support services for system development and compliance with security requirements