ATO identifies, investigates, and develops high-performance computing methods, products, systems, and tools to support the NOAA Mission and NOAA research and operations. ATO transforms these new technologies and capabilities into innovative and valuable forecast and analysis systems that ingest, manage, analyze, and display environmental data in ways that help the NOAA National Weather Service, other professional users, educators, and the public understand our complex Earth.
ATO works to:
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies to assess their viability and effectiveness in pursuit of the NOAA mission
- Lead the way to Investigate new computing technologies, including Graphical Processing Units (GPUs) and Many Integrated Core (MiC) architectures, to ensure NOAA has an understanding of requirements to operate next-generation environmental forecast models effectively and efficiently
- Develop and maintain state of the art tools to manage, manipulate, and optimize high performance computing code and systems to obtain the best and fastest performance possible
- Bring the latest concepts in informatics including data parsing, cross platform collection, bundling, compression, and distribution to be prepared for next generation needs for access and visualization
- Create new ways to collect, store, identify, retrieve, quality control, organize, and archive data for rapid and effective use
- Leverage multiple systems to build the NOAA Earth Information System (NEIS) to rapidly work across multiple data platforms to organize, analyze, and visualize data by many customers using the commercial internet bundled with specialized and commercial gaming software