The ESRL website will be unavailable for 24 hours starting Friday, March 6th at 5:00pm MT due to building maintenance.
ENSO atmospheric response plots
- Output Form
Choose one of the 4 types. For the last 3 options, two plots will be shown side by side (or top and bottom for smaller terminals). You should choose the region desired and the variable for all plots. For the single plot, you will also need to choose, event, type and season. For El Nino vs La Nina, just type and season. For summer vs winter, event and type.
A global plot or just over the United States (235E to 285E and 20N to 65N).
ENSO Events are defined using SST for the Nino 3.4 region and SOI. Events are chosen that have a consistent signal throughout the entire season. Years that define the events are listed on the main page.
Winter is defined from November to March. Summer for May through September. Years given are the year of the last month of the season.
Means and Anomalies. Anomalies are calculated relative to the 1968-1996 time period for the NCEP data and the 1950-1995 time-period for the climate division data.
- Surface Air Temperature
- Temperature at the lowest model level (.995 sigma)
- Sea Level Pressure
- Climate Division Temperature
- Surface temperature averaged over US state climate divisions.
- Climate Division Precipitation
- Precipitation averaged over US state climate divisions.
- Surface Zonal Wind
- East to west winds at the lowest model level (.995 sigma). Positive values indicate winds from the west.
- Surface Meridional Wind
- North to south winds at the lowest model level (.995 sigma). Positive values indicate winds from the south.
- Precipitation Rate
- 200mb Zonal Wind
- East to west winds at 200mb,
- 500mb Geopotential Height
- Height in meters of the 500mb surface.
- 700mb Omega
- Vertical velocity at 700mb. Positive values are downward.
- Sea Surface Temperature (plus ice temperatures).
Most of the data is taken from the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Dataset. The US climate division data is from NOAA's NCDC. Information on the dataset and the dataset itself can be obtained from them.