The ESRL website will be unavailable for 24 hours starting Friday, March 6th at 5:00pm MT due to building maintenance.
AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation) Index
The timeseries are calculated from the Kaplan SST dataset which is updated monthly. It is basically an index of the N Atlantic temperatures. Time series are created; a smoothed version and an unsmoothed version. In addition, two files starting at 1948 are produced to be used in the Correlation webpages.
- Time Interval: Monthly
- Time Coverage: 1856 to present
- Update Status: updated monthly
- Timeseries is calculated at NOAA PSD.
- Use the Kaplan SST dataset (5x5).
- Compute the area weighted average over the N Atlantic, basically 0 to 70N.
- Detrend that time series
- Optionally smooth it with a 121 month smoother.
- For those who require unaltered data, the following is an "not detrended"
version of the N. Atlantic monthly averages with the 1951-1980
climatology added back in.
N. Atlantic SST averages, unsmoothed & not detrended (1856 to present) and the climatolgy used (from the NOAA ERSST V2 SST, interpolated to a 5x5 grid).
- Enfield, D.B., A.M. Mestas-Nunez, and P.J. Trimble, 2001: The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and its relationship to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S., Geophys. Res. Lett., 28: 2077-2080.