Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2: Pressure Level
- NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 is an improved version of the NCEP Reanalysis I model that fixed errors and updated paramterizations of of physical processes
- 4-times and monthly values for 1979/01/01 to 2013/08/31 .
- 2.5-degree latitude x 2.5-degree longitude global grid (144x73).
- 90N - 90S, 0E - 357.5E
- 1000, 925, 850, 700, 600, 500, 400, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100, 70, 50, 30, 20, 10mb
- Updates adding the previous year's data occur during the first quarter of the next
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset|
|Air Temperature||4-times Daily Values||1000-10mb||See list|
|Air Temperature||Daily Mean||1000-10mb||See list|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Mean||1000-10mb||air.mon.mean.nc|
|Geopotential Height||4-times Daily Values||1000-10mb||See list|
|Geopotential Height||Daily Mean||1000-10mb||See list|
|Geopotential Height||Monthly Mean||1000-10mb||hgt.mon.mean.nc|
|Relative Humidity||4-times Daily Values||1000-10mb||See list|
|Relative Humidity||Daily Mean||1000-10mb||See list|
|Relative Humidity||Monthly Mean||1000-10mb||rhum.mon.mean.nc|
|Omega||4-times Daily Values||1000-10mb||See list|
|Omega||Daily Mean||1000-10mb||See list|
|u-wind||4-times Daily Values||1000-10mb||See list|
|u-wind||Daily Mean||1000-10mb||See list|
|v-wind||4-times Daily Values||1000-10mb||See list|
|v-wind||Daily Mean||1000-10mb||See list|
- The NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 project is using a state-of-the-art analysis/forecast system to perform data assimilation using past data from 1979 through the previous year. A large subset of this data is available from PSD in its original 4 times daily format and as daily averages.
- None for pressure level data.
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/pressure)
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2.dailyavgs/pressure)
- var.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2.derived/pressure)
Dataset Format and Size:
- All data are stored in NetCDF files
- Data is packed in those files.
- There are 276 files currently
- Sizes range from 51 Mbytes to 521 Mbytes per variable per year
- The 4x data files are quite large, so you may only be able to download them if you have a fast network connection.
- Current total of 68 Gbytes for 4xDaily and 17 Gbytes for daily averages
- By anonymous FTP:
- 4x daily data are available from ftp.cdc.noaa.gov in /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2/pressure/.
- Daily data are available from ftp.cdc.noaa.gov in /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2.dailyavgs/pressure/.
- Monthly data are available from ftp.cdc.noaa.gov in /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis2.dailyavgs/pressure/.
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 32767s.
- Please note: If you acquire NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- NCEP-DEO AMIP-II Reanalysis (R-2): M. Kanamitsu, W. Ebisuzaki, J. Woollen, S-K Yang, J.J. Hnilo, M. Fiorino, and G. L. Potter. 1631-1643, Nov 2002, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Predictions
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328