The building maintenance scheduled for Friday February 27th at 5:00pm MST has been postponed. It is rescheduled for March 6rd.
Restrictions | Details | Caveats | File Naming | Citation | References | Original Source | Contact
NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Monthly Means and Other Derived Variables
We have transitioned the data files from netCDF3 to netCDF4-classic format on Monday Oct 20th.
- NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Monthly Means and Other Derived Variables..
- Daily and Monthly Values for 1948/01 - present.
- Long term monthly means, derived from data for years 1981 - 2010.
- 2.5 degree latitude x 2.5 degree longitude global grid (144x73).
- 90N - 90S, 0E - 357.5E
|Variable||Statistic||Level||Download File||Create Plot/Subset||File Metadata|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Means||Tropopause||air.mon.mean.nc||File Metadata|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Long Term Means||Tropopause||air.mon.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Means||Tropopause||air.tropp.mon.mean.nc||File Metadata|
|Air Temperature||Monthly Long Term Means||Tropopause||air.tropp.mon.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Air Temperature||Daily Long Term Means||Tropopause||air.tropp.day.1981-2010.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Air Temperature||4X Daily Long Term Means||Tropopause||air.tropp.4Xday.1981-2010.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Pressure||Monthly Means||Tropopause||pres.mon.mean.nc||File Metadata|
|Pressure||Monthly Long Term Means||Tropopause||pres.mon.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Pressure||Monthly Means||Tropopause||pres.tropp.mon.mean.nc||File Metadata|
|Pressure||Monthly Long Term Means||Tropopause||pres.tropp.mon.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Pressure||Daily Long Term Means||Tropopause||pres.tropp.day.1981-2010.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
|Pressure||4X Daily Long Term Means||Tropopause||pres.tropp.4Xday.1981-2010.ltm.nc||File Metadata|
- The NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis 1 project is using a state-of-the-art analysis/forecast system to perform data assimilation using past data from 1948 to the present. A large subset of this data is available from PSD in its original 4 times daily format and as daily averages. However, the data from 1948-1957 is a little different, in the regular (non-Gaussian) gridded data. That data was done at 8 times daily in the model, because the inputs available in that era were available at 3Z, 9Z, 15Z, and 21Z, whereas the 4x daily data has been available at 0Z, 6Z, 12Z, and 18Z. These latter times were forecasted and the combined result for this early era is 8x daily. The local ingestion process took only the 0Z, 6Z, 12Z, and 18Z forecasted values, and thus only those were used to make the daily time series and monthly means here.
- var.time.stat.nc (In directory: /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis.derived/)
- Files are available by anonymous FTP from ftp.cdc.noaa.gov in /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis.derived/tropopause/.
- Archive parameters: File names are generally composed of variable abbreviations, averaging period and statistic. Averaging periods include "day" and "mon". Statistics include "mean", "ltm"(long-term mean), "inter.std" (interannual standard deviation). (variable).(averaging period).(statistic).nc
OpenDap File Names:
Dataset Format and Size:
- PSD standard NetCDF xx (packed).
- All data are stored in netCDF files
- The data are divided by variable and year into separate files
- There are 48 files currently
- Files range in size from 167 Kbytes to 26 Mbytes
- Current total of 377 Mbytes
- Missing data is flagged with a value of 32767s.
- For dataset source, please cite:Kalnay et al.,The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 77, 437-470, 1996.
- Please note: If you acquire NCEP Reanalysis Derived data products from PSD, we ask that you acknowledge us in your use of the data. This may be done by including text such as NCEP Reanalysis Derived data provided by the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA, from their Web site at http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/ in any documents or publications using these data. We would also appreciate receiving a copy of the relevant publications. This will help PSD to justify keeping the NCEP Reanalysis Derived data set freely available online in the future. Thank you!
- March, 1996 BAMS
- NOAA National Center for Environmental Prediction
Physical Sciences Division: Data Management
Boulder, CO 80305-3328