The Colorado River Story - A regional look at climate and freshwater in the arid west includes three stand-alone parts (best used in order together):
- Part I: A jigsaw reading activity: Who needs water?
- Part II: Colorado River watershed mapping activity: How does geography play a role in water distribution?
- Part III: Data analysis over time workbook: What happens when demand for water exceeds supply?
- Questions/Comments/Feedback? Hilary.Peddicord@noaa.gov
The POET Program - Protect Our Environmental Treasures (POET) is a series of 15 environmentally-based student activities for teachers to use in middle and high school. Hands-on interdisciplinary activities emphasize age-appropriate, academically challenging lessons that integrate typical school subjects and show how school subjects relate to "real life" practical application.
Wooly Magma – The Wooly Magma project illustrates the science of Earth's internal structure using a rubber ball and layers of dyed wool to illustrate the Earth's Inner Core, Outer Core, Mantle, Transition Zone, Asthenosphere, Lithosphere, and Crust.
CLIMGRAPH: Educational graphics on global climate change and the greenhouse effect.
Student Activities in Meteorology (SAM) and Student Activities in Meteorology II (SAM II) provide information and educational activities in meteorology, climatology, and space science. Activities are designed for middle schoolers (grades 6 - 8), but are usable between grades 4 and 12.
Science On a Sphere® (SOS) Educational Activities for Students - These activities are based on SOS, but can be done without actually viewing the sphere:
- Green Fair and Bring Your Child Down to Earth Day 2009
- Demonstrating NOAA Science with Marshmallows and Balloons
- Colorado Girls Explore Hands-On Science with Sally Ride Science™
- Provide atmospheric science information to education and community groups
- Arrange outreach programs, including a Visiting Scientist program for schools
- Videos, slides, written materials, and various weather instruments available for use in presentations
- Weather Kit available to schools
- Provide Science Fair judges
- Science Mentors
- Bring Your Child to Work Day