ESRL Global Systems Division
TMU Previous Releases
TMU 2.2A Released, July 2007
- Traffic management decision support tool featuring:
- Network enabled operational decision support tool.
- Platform independent client application.
- Interactive/self traffic management briefings.
- Agile application easily tailored for TM use.
- Briefings automatically update as weather products update.
- Briefings are of data not graphics (geo-located, with weather data values).
- Traffic manager can loop, zoom, query products.
- Traffic manager can add or remove maps.
- Interagency collaboration. Traffic manager can add capacity and traffic limitations for a more complete picture of capacity constraints to the NAS.
- Show color coded impacts to airspace based on TM and CWSU thresholding requirements.
- Convective decision aids for enroute/TRACON/terminal air space.
Two hours of impact in 5 minute increments.
- Forecaster controls input of weather thresholding impacts. Traffic manager can added capacity constraints.
- Forecaster can over ride forecasted impacts.
- Easily extensible to the NAS.
- Common weather/impact picture for the NAS managed by forecaster viewable by all.
TMU 2.2 Released, August 2006
- Added maps for Leesburg.
- Updated maps for Houston/Fort Worth.
- Network enabled briefing tool.
- SIGMET/AIRMET displays.
- Upgraded AWIPS version to OB6 from 5.2.2
- Upgraded FXC application to latest build.
- Voice over IP added.
- BUFFKit added.
- Added NCWF2 data.
- Updated WEB presences with NCWF2 and new aviation maps.
TMU 2.1A Released, June 2005
- Added NCWF performance indicator.
- Added impacted sector displays.
- Added aircraft location data to TCHP displays.
- Web site rearranged to include decision aid section.
TMU 2.1 Released, November 2004The focus of this release was on enhancing the TCHP product, based on feedback gathered during the summer 2003 evaluation. Enhancements to the TCHP looping product included:
- Convective SIGMET forecast product loop
- 2-hour Collaborative Convective Forecast Product (CCFP) product loop
- Center Weather Advisory (CWA) product loop
Crosswind DFW Decision Aid. The color key at left explains the meaning of each color and changes according to runway conditions (DRY, WET, IFR, etc...).
Updates to the static displays of the TCHP product included:
- 2-hour CCFP products
- 4-hour CCFP products
- 6-hour CCFP products
The TMU Website was updated to include a crosswind product developed by the CWSU Forecast Team and placeholders for future products (icing, turbulence, and ceiling and visibility).
Updated TMU interface for accessing Decision Aids and Hazard Products. Also includes placeholders for future Decision Aids and Hazard Products.
Roll-over reveals product availability
According to the award citation, "....The close working relationship between the Fort Worth ARTCC, the CWSU, and FSL has resulted in outstanding public relations for all agencies concerned. The customers have been the ultimate recipients of better and improved services. The benefits this team brings to the FAA Fort Worth ARTCC have been far reaching, and are paying significant dividends to the safety of flight and the efficient use of the nation's airspace system, with fiscal savings to commercial and general aviation."
National Weather Association Aviation Meteorology Award 2004
TMU Spring 2003 Release
The team demonstrated and evaluated the initial version of the Tactical Convective Hazard Product (TCHP) on the Traffic Management Unit (TMU) Web site (http://esrl.noaa.gov/gsd/ab/asdad/projects/tmu/) to the Dallas/Fort Worth Traffic Managers. The WEB site was enhanced based on feed back from the Traffic Managers from static displays of the TCHP to allow the Traffic Manager user to toggle on/off map backgrounds and convective products that comprise the TCHP. The convective SIGMET portion of the TCHP was enhanced to include convective SIGMET nowcast, convective SIGMET forecast, and convective SIGMET text. The convective SIGMET forecast is created by advecting the convective SIGMET nowcast using the motion information so that it is time matched with the National Convective Weather Forecast. A new impacted jet route map background was created using the convective products that comprise the TCHP for color-coding jet route segments. Testing, Training, and evaluation plans have been created and added to the web site. The following convective products and map backgrounds make up the TCHP:
- Convective SIGMET Nowcast
- Convective SIGMET Forecast
- Convective SIGMET Text
- National Convective Weather Forecast
- National Convective Detection Product
- National Convective Detection Motion Vectors and Cloud heights
- VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range) maps
- Jet Route maps
- DFW TRACON scale and map background
- ZFW ARTCC scale
- IAH TRACON scale and map background
- ZHU ARTCC scale
- Impacted Jet Routes