ESRL Global Systems Division
Conditions at DSRC as of
2015-Feb-28 06:54 MST:
Temperature: 3.2°F Calculated Dewpoint: -0.6°F Relative Humidity: 83.5% Station Pr: 828.2 mb
More information: Current Conditions
Live View from NOAA in Boulder, CO
*Image updates approx every 5 minutes.
Global Systems Division
The Global Systems Division (GSD) of the Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) conducts research and development to provide NOAA and the nation with observing, prediction, computer, and information systems that deliver environmental products ranging from local to global predictions of short-range, high impact weather and air quality events to longer-term intraseasonal climate forecasts.
GSD Science & Technology Objectives
- Develop and improve local-to-global weather, air quality, and intraseasonal climate data assimilation and prediction models.
- Investigate high-performance computer architectures to handle the enormous computational demands of environmental models.
- Develop environmental information systems to support commerce, transportation, emergency management, and other societal needs.
- Develop and implement techniques to assess the value of new observing systems to operational weather services.
What's Next for GSD?
During the next five to ten years, GSD will continue to support NOAA in the following areas:
- Conceive, design, and test the forecast impact of meteorological observing systems, with an emphasis on integrated observing systems employing a large range of measurement systems.
- Develop modeling and assimilation techniques and information systems to improve the short-range weather forecasting necessary for severe weather watches and warnings, heavy precipitation events, water management, air quality forecasting, and fire weather prediction.
- Develop the global Earth system modeling and assimilation techniques needed for global chemical transport and regional climate simulations.
- Support NOAA in high-performance computing through new computing technology and improved software engineering practices.
- Anticipate and respond to customers' needs in an ever-changing technological world through new program development, collaborations, and enhanced environmental science education.