- TACOS Sausage Flask Intercomparison Exercise: 2002-2005 (Levin, I. et al., Presentation at the 13th WMO / IAEA Meeting of Experts on Carbon Dioxide Concentration and Related Tracer Measurement Techniques Boulder, Colorado, USA; September 19-22, 2005), WORLD METEOROLOGICAL ORGANIZATION , GAW Report No. 148.
- Levin, I. U. Langendorfer, M. Schmidt, C. Facklam (UHEI-IUP, Germany), M. Ramonet, C. Bourg, V. Kazan, P. Ciais (LSCE, France), R. Langenfelds, C. Allison, R. Francey (CSIRO, Australia), A. Jordan, W.A. Brand (MPI-BGC, Germany), R.E.M. Neubert, J.A.J. Meijer (CIO-RUG, Netherlands), K. Holmen (MISU, Sweden). EuroSiberian Carbonflux - CO2 Intercomparison. 11th WMO/IAEA Meeting of Experts on Carbon Dioxide Concentration and Related Tracer Measurement Techniques. September 25-28, 2001, Tokyo, Japan. WMO/GAW, No.148, March 2003.
- Langenfelds, R.L., P.B. Krummel, C.E. Allison, R.J. Francey, L.P. Steele, L.N. Cooper, D.E.J. Worthy, L. Huang, M. Ernst and A. Chivulescu, Intercomparison of MSC and CSIRO trace gas data from Alert and Estevan Point, Canadian Baseline Program Summary of Progress to 2002, Meteorological Service of Canada, 67-76, 2003.
- Masarie, K., T. Conway, E. Dlugokencky, P. Novelli, P. Tans, D. Worthy, and M. Ernst, The MSC/NOAA Ongoing Flask Air Intercomparison Experiment, Canadian Baseline Program Summary of Progress to 2002, Meteorological Service of Canada, 64-66, 2003.
- Masarie, K.A., R.L. Langenfelds, C.E. Allison, T.J. Conway, E.J. Dlugokencky, R.J. Francey, P.C. Novelli, L.P. Steele, P.P. Tans, B. Vaughn, and J.W.C. White, "The NOAA/CSIRO Flask-Air Intercomparison Program: A strategy for directly assessing consistency among atmospheric measurements derived from independent laboratories." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 106, No. D17, p. 20445-20464, 2001.
- GLOBALVIEW-CO2, Version History, "Modifications to the Data Extension procedure.", 2000.
- Masarie, K.A. and P.P Tans, "Extension and Integration of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Data into a Globally Consistent Measurement Record." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 100, No. D6, p. 11593-11610. June 1995.
WMO CH4 Mole Fraction Scale
- Conversion of NOAA atmospheric dry air CH4 mole fractions to a gravimetrically prepared standard scale, E.J. Dlugokencky, R. C. Myers, P. M. Lang, K. A. Masarie, A. M. Crotwell, K. W. Thoning, B. D. Hall, J. W. Elkins, L. P. Steele, J. Geophys. Res., 110, D18306, doi:10.1029/2005JD006035, 2005.
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO), Report of the 12th WMO/IAEA meeting of experts on carbon dioxide concentration and related tracer measurement techniques, Toronto, Canada, Global Atmosphere Watch Report No. 161, TD No. 1275, Geneva, 2005.
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia
- Pak, B.C., M. Ramonet, P. Monfray, R.J. Francey and I.Simmonds, Assessment of the spatial and temporal representativeness of the Cape Grim overflight data, in Baseline Atmospheric Program (Australia) 1996, Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research, Melbourne, Australia, in press.
- Francey, R.J., L.P. Steele, R.L. Langenfelds, C.E. Allison, L.N. Cooper, B.L. Dunse, B.G. Bell, T.D. Murray, H.S. Tait, L. Thompson and K.A. Masarie, Atmospheric carbon dioxide and its stable isotope ratios, methane, carbon monoxide and hydrogen from Shetland Isles, Atmos. Environ., Vol. 32, No. 19, 3331-3338, 1998.
- Langenfelds, R.L., R.J. Francey, L.P. Steele, P.J. Fraser, S.A. Coram, M.R. Hayes, D.J. Beardsmore, M.P. Lucarelli, and F.R. de Silva, Improved vertical sampling of the trace gas composition of the troposphere above Cape Grim since 1991, in Baseline Atmospheric Program (Australia) 1993, edited by R.J. Francey, A.L. Dick and N. Derek, pp 45-56, Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research, Melbourne, Australia, 1996.
- Pak, B.C., Langenfelds, R.L., R.J. Francey, L.P. Steele and I.Simmonds, A climatology of trace gases from the Cape Grim overflights, 1992 - 1995, in Baseline Atmospheric Program (Australia) 1994-5, edited by R.J. Francey, A.L. Dick and N. Derek, pp 41 - 52, Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research, Melbourne, Australia, 1996.
- Francey,R.J., L.P.Steele, R.L.Langenfelds, M.P.Lucarelli, C.E.Allison, D.J.Beardsmore, S.A.Coram, N.Derek, F.R.deSilva, D.M.Etheridge, P.J.Fraser, R.J.Henry, B.Turner, E.D.Welch, D.A.Spencer and L.N.Cooper. Global Atmospheric Sampling Laboratory (GASLAB): supporting and extending the Cape Grim trace gas programs. Baseline Atmospheric Program (Australia) 1993, edited by R.J.Francey, A.L.Dick and N.Derek, pp 8 - 29, Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research, Melbourne, Australia, 1996.
- Steele, L.P., R.L.Langenfelds, M.P.Lucarelli, P.J.Fraser, L.N.Cooper, D.A.Spencer, S.Chea and K.Broadhurst. Atmospheric methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen and nitrous oxide from Cape Grim flask air samples analysed by gas chromatography. Baseline Atmospheric Program (Australia) 1994-95, edited by R.J.Francey, A.L.Dick and N.Derek, pp 107 - 110, Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research, Melbourne, Australia,1996.
Meteorological Service of Canada (MSC), Canada
- Worthy, D.E.J., I. Levin, N.B.A. Trivett, A.J. Kuhlmann, J.F. Hopper, and M.K. Ernst, "Seven years of continuous methane observations at a remote boreal site in Ontario, Canada." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 103, No. D13, p. 15995-16007, July, 1998.
- Worthy, D. E. J., N. B. A. Trivett, J.F. Hopper, J. W. Bottenheim, and I. Levin, Analysis of long range transport events at Alert, N.W.T., during the Polar Sunrise Experiment, J. Geophys. Res., 99, 25329-25344, 1994.
Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS) / Centre for Atmosphere Watch & Services (CAWAS), China Meteorological Administration (CMA), P.R. of China
- Zhou LX, Worthy DEJ, Lang PM, Ernst MK, Zhang XC, Wen YP, Li JL. 2004. Ten years of atmospheric methane observations at a high elevation site in Western China. Atmospheric Environment 38: 7041-7054.
- Zhou L.X., Wen Y.P. and Zhang X.C., 2005. Greenhouse gases monitoring and research at GAW station, China. 12th WMO/IAEA Meeting of Experts on Carbon dioxide Concentration and Related Tracer Measurement Techniques, September 15-19, 2003, Toronto, Canada. WMO/GAW, No.161:232-238.
- Zhou L.X., Wen Y.P. and Zhang X.C., 2003. Contribution of the China Meteorological Administration to the WMO GAW Programme and Associated Activities: The Current and Future Application at China GAW Stations. 11th WMO/IAEA Meeting of Experts on Carbon dioxide Concentration and Related Tracer Measurement Techniques. September 24-29, 2001, Tokyo, Japan. WMO/GAW, No.148: 129-131.
National Agency for New Technology, Energy, and Environment of Italy (ENEA)
- Ciattaglia L., Guerrini A., Colombo T., Santaguida R., Chamard P., Behaviour of the atmospheric CO2 and methane concentration in 2 Italian Stations different type of biosphere: Mt. Cimone and Lampedusa, IUGG-IAMAS-MJS6, Boulder, USA, 1995.
- Chamard P., Ciattaglia L., Monteleone F., di Sarra A., The station for climate observations at Lampedusa: greenhouse gas measurements, in Proceedings of the WMO CO2 Expert Meeting, 2001.
Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), Japan
- WMO/JMA, Results of Methane Reference Gas Intercomparison Experiment in WCC for methane, http://gaw.kishou.go.jp/wcc/ch4/comparison.html.
- JMA, Annual Report on Atmospheric and Marine Environment Monitoring No.5 Observation Results for 2003, Japan Meteorological Agency, March 2005, http://www.data.kishou.go.jp/obs-env/cdrom/index_e.htm. (in Japanese).
- Matsueda,H., Y. Sawa, A, Wada, H. Inoue, K. Suda, Y. Hirano, K. Tsuboi, S. Nishioka, Methane standard gases for atmospheric measurements at the MRI and JMA and intercomparison experiments, Papers in Meteorology and Geophysics Vol.54, No.3/4, 91-113, 2004.
National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Japan
- Y. Tohjima, T. Machida, M. Utiyama, M. Katsumoto, Y. Fujinuma, S. Maksyutov, Analysis and presentation of in situ atmospheric methane measurements from Cape Ochi-ishi and Hateruma Island, J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 07, NO. D12, 4148, doi:10.1029/2001JD001003, 2002.
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), New Zealand
- Lowe, D.C., Manning, M.R., Brailsford, G.W., Bromley, A.M., The 1991-1992 Atmospheric Methane anomaly: Southern Hemisphere 13C decrease and growth rate fluctuations, Geophys. Res Lett, 24, 8, 857-860, 1997.
South African Weather Service (SAWS), South Africa
- Brunke E G. and Allen R. J. (1988), Tropospheric background measurements of CFCl3, CH3CCl3 and CCl4 at Cape Point, South Africa, and their long-term trends. South African Journal of Science 84, 4, 266-270.
- Brunke E-G., Scheel H.E. and Seiler W. (1990), Trends of tropospheric CO, N2O and CH4 as observed at Cape Point, South Africa. Atmospheric Environment 24A, 3, 585-595.
- Brunke, E.G., H.E. Scheel, and W. Seiler (1994), Atmospheric CH4 record from in situ measurements at Cape Point. pp. 352-356. In T.A. Boden, D.P. Kaiser, R.J. Sepanski, and F.W. Stoss (eds.). Trends'93: A compendium of Data on Global Change. ORNL/CDIAC-65. Carbon Dioxide Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn., U.S.A.
- Brunke, E-G. and Scheel, H.E. (1995), The new Cape Point baseline station and recent changes in trace gas trends, Extended Abstracts of papers presented at the WMO-IGAC Conference on the Measurement and Assessment of Atmospheric Composition Change, Beijing, China, 9-14 October 1995, WMO Report No. 197, WMO/TD-NO. 710, 246-249.
- Scheel H.E., Brunke E-G. and Seiler W. (1990), Trace gas measurements at the Monitoring Station Cape Point, South Africa, between 1978 and 1988. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry 11, 3, 197-210.
- Seiler, W., Giehl, H., Brunke E-G. and Halliday, E. (1984), The seasonality of CO abundance in the Southern Hemisphere. Tellus 36B, 219-31.
Izana Atmospheric Research Center, Meteorological State Agency of Spain (AEMET), Spain
- Gomez-Pelaez, A.J., Ramos, R., Cuevas, E., Gomez-Trueba, V., "25 years of continuous CO2 and CH4 measurements at Izana Global GAW mountain station: annual cycles and interannual trends", Proceedings of the "Symposium on Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics at Mountain Sites (ACP Symposium 2010, June 8-10, 2010, Interlaken, Switzerland)", 157-159, 2010
- Gomez-Pelaez, A.J., Ramos, R., "Improvements in the Carbon Dioxide and Methane Continuous Measurement Programs at Izana Global GAW Station (Spain) during 2007-2009", to be published in "Report of the 15th WMO/IAEA Meeting of Experts on Carbon Dioxide, Other Greenhouse Gases, and Related Tracer Measurement Techniques (Jena, Germany; September 7-10, 2009)", GAW Report (WMO)
- Gomez-Pelaez, A.J., Ramos, R., Perez-delaPuerta, J., "Methane and carbon dioxide continuous measurements at Izana GAW station (Spain)" in GAW Report (No. 168) of the "13th WMO/IAEA Meeting of Experts on Carbon Dioxide Concentration and Related Tracers Measurement Techniques (Boulder, Colorado, USA, 19-22 September 2005)", edited by J.B. Miller, World Meteorological Organization (TD No. 1359), 180-184, 2006
NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL), United States - Flask measurements
- Dlugokencky, E.J., K.A. Masarie, P.M. Lang, and P.P. Tans, "Continuing decline in the growth rate of atmospheric methane.", Nature, 393:447-450, 1997.
- Dlugokencky, E.J., L.P. Steele, P.M. Lang, K.A. Masarie, and R.C. Martin. "The Growth Rate and Distribution of Atmospheric Methane." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 99, No. D8, p. 17021-17043. August, 1994.
- Steele, L.P., P.J. Fraser, R.A. Rasmussen, M.A.K. Khalil, T.J. Conway, A.J. Crawford, R.H. Gammon, K.A. Masarie, and K.W. Thoning, "The Global Distribution of Methane in the Troposphere." Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, Vol. 5, No. 2, p. 125-171, June 1987.
NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL), United States - In situ measurements
- Dlugokencky, E.J., L.P. Steele, P.M. Lang, and K.A. Masarie. "Atmospheric Methane at Mauna Loa and Barrow observatories: Presentation and Analysis of in situ measurements." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 100, No. D11, p. 23103-23113, November 1995.
NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL), United States - Tall-tower measurements
- Hurst, D.F., P.S. Bakwin, and J.W. Elkins, "Recent trends in the variability of halogenated trace gases over the United States." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 103, No. D19, p. 25299-25306, 1998.
- Hurst, D.F., P.S. Bakwin, R.C. Myers, and J.W. Elkins, "Behavior of trace gas mixing ratios on a very tall tower in North Carolina." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 102, No. D7, p. 8825-8835, 1997.
- Bakwin, P.S., D.F. Hurst, P.P. Tans, and J.W. Elkins, "Anthropogenic sources of halocarbons, sulfur hexafluoride, carbon monoxide, and methane in the southeastern United States." Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 102, No. D13, p. 15915-15925, 1997.
- Hurst, D.F., P.S. Bakwin, C. Zhao, K.J. Davis, and R.M. Teclaw, "Landscape-scale surface fluxes of methane and hydrogen in a North American boreal lowland and wetland forest." Eos Trans. A.G.U., F124-125, 1996.
- Bakwin, P.S, P.P. Tans, C. Zhao, W. Ussler III, and E. Quesnell, Measurements of carbon dioxide on a very tall tower, Tellus. 47B, 535-549, 1995.
NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL), United States - Aircraft measurements
- Bakwin, P.S., Conway, T.J., Dlugokencky, E.J., Guenther, D.W., Kitzis, D, Lang, P.M., Masarie, K.A., Novelli, P.C., Thoning, K.W., Tans, P.P., and Waterman, L.S., in Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics Laboratory CMDL NO. 22 Summary Report 1994, edited by J.T. Peterson and R.M. Rosson, pp 18-30, US Department of Commerce, NOAA, Boulder, Colorado, 1994.
Advanced Global Atmospheric Gases Experiment (AGAGE), Multinational Program - Continuous measurements
- Cunnold, D.M., L.P. Steele, P.J. Fraser, P.G. Simmonds, R.G. Prinn, R.F. Weiss, L.W. Porter, R.L. Langenfelds, H.J. Wang, L. Emmons, X.X. Tie, and E.J. Dlugokencky, In situ measurements of atmospheric methane at GAGE/AGAGE sites during 1985-2000 and resulting source inferences. J. Geophys. Res., 107, D14, doi: 10.1029/2001JD001226, 2002.
- Prinn, R.G., R.F. Weiss, P.J. Fraser, P.G. Simmonds, D.M. Cunnold, F.N. Alyea, S. O'Doherty, P. Salameh, B.R. Miller, J. Huang, R.H.J. Wang, D.E. Hartley, C. Harth, L.P. Steele, G. Sturrock, P.M. Midgley, and A. McCulloch, A History of Chemically and Radiatively Important Gases in Air deduced from ALE/GAGE/AGAGE, J. Geophys. Res., 105, 17,751-17,792, 2000.