Slide 11 of 13
Southern Oxidants Study, Summer 1995
- Vertical profile - data points represent level flight segments collected geographically and temporally close to one another
- Bsp varies by two orders of magnitude through the profile; SSA varies by ~10%. b shows similar low variation through the column (even above the top of the PBL).
- Angstrom exp. is not reliable because it's derived from the ratio of two very small, noise-dominated scattering numbers.
- Surface aerosol properties in the southeast US may represent the lower column.
- Important because ground stations collect much more data over much longer durations than aircraft intensive programs. Need to know to what height the ground measurements are representative of the atmosphere above them.